Sunday, February 21, 2010

Careless or care less?


A lot of life's problems, though seemingly complicated, tend to have the simplest solutions. Often times, the questions we ask can even be potentially more important than the answers. If I could give one piece of advice to my former self or even my present self, it would be: stop caring so much.

You know, they say that curiosity killed the cat. Those words are a bit more personal for me. In fact, my version of the metaphor would probably be a lot more gruesome. I imagine blood and animal parts everywhere... a sort of serial killer's paradise. Anyway, now that I've scared off any potential readers, let's get to where this blog post is trying to go.

Strangely enough, the past few days have been going very well for me. My confidence is up, my weight is down, and my hands aren't in my pants (well, they are now, but that's beside the point). Looking back, I think I can safely say that I owe it to just not giving a rat's ass. Over-analyzing is like a hobby for me or more accurately, I've made it into a career. Sometimes, however, it's better to stop and NOT think. Thinking too much can harm you both physically and mentally. Caring too much should qualify as an illness, but, sadly, there would be no cure. 

I know I'm getting a bit philosophical here and, frankly, my head is starting to ache (that's probably last night's margaritas still talking). What I'm trying to get at is this sort of split-second decision making. As humans, we're born with an amazing ability to distinguish and make choices rapidly. Most of the time, we're pretty damn good at it too. Today's society is making us think more and more, and that's not necessarily a good thing. Body image issues, social anxiety, relationship problems... these can all stem from analyzing something to death. Take it from me and stop giving a shit.

That being said, I think it's important not to get carried away. Everything in moderation, right? (I wish I could abide by my own words, but I'm a filthy hypocrite.) Don't become insensitive or cold to others just to better yourself. Thinking is something that should be done at all times, but sensibly and with good reason. Next time you catch yourself excessively pondering, ponder this:

I could care less... but is it making me careless?

-Rob 

No comments:

Post a Comment