Sunday, February 14, 2010

V-Day Thoughts


Discipline.


I'm always amazed at how vast amounts of emotion, meaning, and importance can be translated into one word. Language is astounding. How can something so small, so insignificant be so hard to attain? How can one, 10-letter word take years to understand and accomplish?

When one thinks of the words "diet" and "exercise," discipline is not unrelated. Whether it's putting down that last beer or saying "no thanks" to that extra slice of pizza, discipline is something universally associated with achieving both a better body and a better lifestyle.

On an somewhat unrelated note, Happy Valentine's Day... or as I like to call it: Singles' Awareness Day. I'm discussing discipline today because, well, frankly, I have none. Although I've struggled with binge eating for a majority of my lifetime, recently it's been under control. Ah, yes, but then the female species comes along and rips my heart out from underneath my developing pecs. "Let's just be friends," she said. "Let's just gain 5 lbs. in two days," I replied. Like a walrus, I gorged my way through an inconceivable amount of food, and here I am on February 14th, feeling sorry for myself and being set back at least a week.

How did this happen? I ponder to myself. Who do I blame for this? My mind starts racing. Well, clearly, it's that girls fault for rejecting me so suddenly. Or is it society's fault for giving us such high standards for romance and physical appearance? No, no, it's definitely the food's fault for being so goddamn delicious.

Nope. It's my fault.

I let this happen. The emotional burden was too hard to bear, so I buckled. Food became my crutch and I leaned on it until my girth broke the support. In other words, I "racka da discripine."

South Park references aside... I've come to realize that discipline is an absolute necessity in our lives. Not just when it comes to diet and exercise, but also when it comes to our social lives, our academic lives, and even the most mundane day-to-day events.

In the words of a anonymously courageous wolf:
"Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Happy Valentines Day,
-Rob.

No comments:

Post a Comment